Some people have a problem of being overweight or obese while others have the opposite problem of being too thin. Being underweight can be as unhealthy as being obese.
This article describes strategies for rapid weight gain in a healthy way.
What Does Underweight Really Mean?
Underweight is defined as a body mass index (BMI) of less than 18.5, which is estimated to be less than the body mass required to maintain optimal health.
In contrast, those over 25 are considered overweight, and those over 30 are considered obese.
However, keep in mind that BMI, which only takes into account weight and height, poses many problems. Muscle mass is not taken into account.
Some people are naturally skinny but still healthy. If you’re underweight on this scale, it doesn’t necessarily mean you have a health problem.
Underweight is 2 to 3 times more common in girls and women than in men. In the United States, 1% of men and 2.4% of women over age 20 are underweight.
What Are the Health Consequences of Being Underweight?
Being underweight is associated with a 140% greater risk of premature death in men and a 100% greater risk of premature death in women.
Obesity as compared to underweight has a lower percentage of increased risk of premature death. Underweight men are at a higher risk as compared to women.
Being underweight can also affect immune function, increase the risk of infection, cause osteoporosis and bone fractures, and cause fertility problems.
In addition, underweight people are much more likely to have sarcopenia (age-related muscle wasting) and are at higher risk for dementia.
Several Things Can Cause Someone to Become Underweight
The following medical conditions can lead to unhealthy weight loss;
- Eating disorders: These include anorexia nervosa, a serious mental disorder.
- Thyroid problems: An overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism) can stimulate metabolism and lead to unhealthy weight loss.
- Celiac disease: The most severe form of gluten intolerance. Celiac disease is rarely notable.
- Diabetes: Uncontrolled diabetes (mainly type 1) can lead to significant weight loss.
- Cancer: Cancer tumors often burn large amounts of calories and can cause a person to lose a lot of weight.
- Infections: Some infections can lead to severe weight loss. These include parasites, tuberculosis, and HIV/AIDS.
Gain weight in a healthy way
Drinking soda and donuts can help you gain weight, but it can also destroy your health.
If you are underweight, you want to gain a balanced amount of muscle mass and subcutaneous fat, not a lot of unhealthy abdominal fat.
Many normal-weight people have type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and other health problems, often associated with being overweight.
Therefore, it is absolutely essential to eat a healthy diet and lead a healthy lifestyle in general.
The next chapter discusses several effective ways to gain weight quickly without harming your health.
Weight gain diet/Meal plans to gain weight
Some of the weight gain diets include;
- Homemade protein smoothies
- Nuts and nuts butter
- Red meat
- Potatoes and starches
- Salmon and oily fish
- Protein supplements
- Dried fruits
- Whole-grain bread
- Healthy cereals
- Cereal bars
- Dark chocolate
- Whole egg
- Full fat yogurt
- Healthy fats and oil
The most important thing you can do to gain weight is to create excess calories – that is, you are consuming more calories than your body needs.
If you want to gain weight slowly and steadily, the calculator tells you to aim for 300 or 500 more calories than you burn each day.
If you want to gain weight quickly, aim for 700 to 1,000 more calories than your maintenance level.
Keep in mind that calorie calculators only provide estimates. Your needs may vary by several hundred calories per day or so.
You don’t have to count calories for the rest of your life, but it’s helpful to do so for the first few days or weeks to get an idea of how many calories you’re taking in. There are many great tools that can help you with this task.
Eat Plenty of Protein
The most important nutrient for healthy weight gain is protein.
Muscle is made up of protein, and without protein, most of those extra calories can end up as body fat.
Studies show that when overeating, a high-protein diet causes a large proportion of the extra calories to be converted into muscle tissue.
Keep in mind, though, that protein is a double-edged sword. It is also very filling, which can significantly reduce hunger and appetite, making it more challenging to consume enough calories.
If you are trying to gain weight, aim for 0.7 to 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (1.5 to 2.2 grams of protein per kilogram). You can go even higher if your calorie intake is very high.
Protein-rich foods include meat, fish, eggs, many dairy products, legumes, nuts, and more. Protein supplements, such as whey protein, can also be helpful if you have trouble getting enough protein in your diet.
Fill up on Plenty of Carbs and Fat and Eat at Least 3 Times per Day
Many people try to cut down on carbs or fat when they lose weight.
It’s a bad idea if your goal is to gain weight because it makes it harder to get enough calories.
Eat lots of foods high in carbohydrates and fat if weight gain is a priority for you. It’s best to eat lots of protein, fat, and carbohydrates at every meal.
It is also a bad idea to fast intermittently. This is helpful for weight loss and improving health, but it can make it much harder to eat enough calories to gain weight.
Be sure to eat at least three meals a day and try to add energy snacks whenever possible.
Eat Energy-Dense Foods and Use Sauces, Spices and Condiments
It is vital that you eat mostly whole foods with only one ingredient.
The problem is that these foods tend to be more nutritious than processed foods, making it harder to get enough calories.
Using lots of spices, sauces and condiments can help. The tastier your food, the easier it is to eat a lot.
Also, try to focus on energy-dense foods as much as possible. These are foods that contain a lot of calories in relation to your weight.
Here are some high-energy foods that are great for weight gain:
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts, etc.
- Dried fruit: Raisins, dates, prunes, and others.
- High-fat dairy: Whole milk, full-fat yogurt, cheese, cream.
- Fats and oils: Extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil.
- Grains: Whole grains like oats and brown rice.
- Meat: Chicken, beef, pork, lamb, etc. Choose fattier cuts.
- Tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams.
- Dark chocolate, avocados, peanut butter, coconut milk, granola, trail mixes.
Many of these foods are very satisfying, and sometimes you have to force yourself to keep eating even when you feel full.
It may be wise to avoid eating a ton of vegetables if weight gain is a priority for you. It just leaves less room for energy-dense foods.
It’s possible to eat whole fruits, but try to focus on fruits that don’t need to be chewed too much, like bananas.
Best multivitamin for weight gain
- The B vitamins.
- Vitamin D
Mass gainer shake
- Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass. Two meals’ worth of calories in each serving. …
- The Protein Works Total Mass Matrix Extreme. All the flavors of the rainbow. …
- Bulk Powders Vegan Mass Gainer. Zero animal cruelty, maximum lean muscle gains. …
- USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic.
- MyProtein Weight Gainer Blend.
Lift Heavy Weights and Improve Your Strength
Lifting weights helps calories reach the muscles and not just the fat cells.
Visit the gym regularly and do heavy exercises to try and increase your weight and volume over time.
Some cardiovascular exercises can improve your fitness and well-being, but don’t do it while you’re burning off all the extra calories you eat.
Best & fastest ways for rapid weight gain
- Don’t drink water before meals. This can fill your stomach and make it difficult to absorb enough calories.
- Eat more often. Eat an extra meal or snack whenever you can, such as before bedtime.
- Drink milk. Drinking whole milk to quench your thirst is an easy way to get more high-quality protein and calories.
- Try smoothies for weight gain. If you’re really in trouble, you can try weight-gain shakes. They are high in protein, carbohydrates, and calories.
- Use larger plates. Be sure to use larger plates when you try to eat more calories because smaller plates automatically mean that people are eating less.
- Add cream to your coffee. This is an easy way to add more calories.
- Take creatine. The creatine monohydrate supplement can help you gain a few pounds of muscle mass.
- Get enough sleep. Sleeping well is very important for muscle growth.
- Eat your protein first and your vegetables last. If you have a mix of foods on your plate, eat the high-calorie, high-protein foods first. Eat your vegetables last.
- Avoid smoking. Smokers tend to weigh less than nonsmokers, and quitting often leads to weight gain.
Gaining Weight Can Be Difficult, and Consistency Is the Key to Long-Term Success
- Gaining weight can be challenging. This is because the body has its own weight adjustment.
- Whether you are trying to go below your goal (lose weight) or above it (gain weight), your body resists change by regulating your hunger and your metabolism.
- When you take calories and gain weight, you can expect your body to respond by reducing your appetite and boosting your metabolism.
- This is mediated mostly by your brain and by weight-regulating hormones such as leptin.
- Therefore, you should expect a certain degree of difficulty. In some cases, you will have to force yourself to eat even though you feel full.
- Menopause weight gain/ Perimenopause weight gain
Due to hormonal changes during menopause, there is more gaining of weight around your abdomen than around your hips and thighs. Hormonal changes alone don’t cause menopause weight gain, weight gain is usually related to aging, as well as lifestyle and genetic factors.
- Period weight gain
- It’s normal to gain three to five pounds of weight during your period. The weight gain is caused by hormonal fluctuations. It may be the result of water retention, overeating, sugar cravings, and skipping workouts due to cramps
- Cb 1 weight gain
This is a supplement is that contains vitamin D3 (1,500 IU), zinc gluconate (8 mg), and Echinacea complexes (805 mg). The product claims to stimulate appetite and slow metabolism to help individuals eat more and gain weight.
Pcos weight gain
The only way someone would gain weight on the keto diet is if they binged on high-calorie foods for an extended amount of time such as full-fat dairy, avocados, coconut oil, and fatty cuts of meat and nuts.
Hormonal weight gain
Too high levels of Estrogen that or too low can cause weight gain. High levels of estrogen in the body can irritate the cells that produce insulin in your body, making you insulin resistant and blood sugar levels rise, leading to weight gain. Low levels of estrogen can also cause a very stubborn type of weight gain.
Hypothyroidism weight gain
Most of the extra weight gained in hypothyroid individuals is due to excess accumulation of salt and water. Generally, 5-10 pounds of body weight may be attributable to the thyroid, depending on the severity of the hypothyroidism.
Weight gain after gallbladder removal
Sudden weight gain in the stomach and thighs
Female weight gain
- eating more.
- menstrual cycle.
- perimenopause and menopause.
- metabolism slowing down with age.
- being less physically active.
- water retention due to dehydration or excess salt.
- stress, depression, or anxiety.
- lack of sleep.
Weight gainer for women
These are some recommendations for weight gainer in women;
- The best nutritional values: Over 400 kcal, 44.6g of complex carbohydrates, 31.3g of high-quality protein & only 2.1g of sugar
- Helps you gain muscle mass
- The easiest way to increase your calorie and protein intake
- Contains 100% finely ground oats
- Exceptional amino-acid profile
- Contains BCAAs (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine)
Are you trying to build muscle mass? In that case, our Complex Weight Gainer can be really helpful, especially for people who struggle with gaining muscles. In order to successfully gain weight, you have to consume more calories than you burn. With our amazing nutritional values of over 400 kcal, 44.6g of complex carbohydrates, 31.3g of high-quality protein & only 2.1g of sugar, increasing your intake of calories and protein has never been easier.
Weight gain milk
Milk is a great source of calories, protein, and beneficial nutrients that may help you safely gain weight and build muscle. To increase your intake, try drinking it with meals or adding it to smoothies, soups, eggs, or hot cereals. Still, people with lactose intolerance or milk allergy should avoid it.
Cb1 weight gain
It is one of the most commonly promoted supplement is CB-1 Weight Gainer, which contains vitamin D3 (1,500 IU), zinc gluconate (8 mg), and Echinacea complexes (805 mg). The product claims to stimulate appetite and slow metabolism to help individuals gain weight, though evidence on the effectiveness of its ingredients is limited.
Weight gainer shake
Best protein powder for weight gain/Best mass gainer 2019
Protein powder boosts weight gain. Protein powders include;
- Universal Real Gains Weight Gainer
- Optimum Nutrition Pro Gainer.
- MuscleMeds Carnivor Mass.
- MuscleTech Mass-Tech.
- Bodybuilding.com Signature Mass Gainer.
Protein to gain weight
If you’re trying to gain weight, aim for 0.7–1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (1.5–2.2 grams of protein per kilogram). You can even go above that if your calorie intake is very high. High-protein foods include meats, fish, eggs, many dairy products, legumes, nuts, and others.
Protein shakes for weight gain
Some of the protein shakes for weight gain include;
- Evolve protein shake
- Muscle milk genuine protein shake
- Optimum nutrition serious mass weight gainer protein powder, vitamin C, zinc, vitamin D for immune support
- Premier protein 30g protein shake vanilla
- Optimum nutrition gold standard 100% protein powder
- Ensure plus nutrition shake with fiber, 13g high-quality protein
- Pure to drink ready to drink shake high protein vanilla cream
- Lean body ready to drink a chocolate protein shake
- Muscle milk pro series protein shake intense vanilla
- Iconic protein drinks
Herbalife weight gain
Herbalife Weight Gain Program is for having a healthy weight in your body. Take your supplements three times daily to enhance health and give your body the benefits of Cellular Nutrition.
Herbalife Cellular Nutrition is the cornerstone of the Herbalife program. The Cellular Nutrition products are scientifically balanced to nourish cells for optimal metabolism, growth, repair, and reproduction. This helps ensure the nutrients your body needs daily are absorbed and delivered throughout your body at a cellular level. As a result, customers experience more energy and easier weight control.